TOP STORIES

CA announces central contracts, Marcus Stones the biggest omission

Thursday, 28-Mar-2024, 04:29 AM
News

Cricket Australia has announced the list of 23 centrally contacted men’s players, with seasoned allrounder Marcus Stoinis failing to make the cut. He is a big name missing from the group of 23 players. New faces in pacers Nathan Ellis and Xavier Bartlett have been rewarded with the lucrative contract following their impressive performances earlier this year. Ellis played for Australia in ODIs and T20Is against South Africa on Australia’s tour, and also featured in T20Is in India and New Zealand. 

Matt Short and Aaron Hardie are other new faces to have been put on the list of 23 players. Missing out from the contract, other than Marcus Stoinis, are Ashton Agar, Marcus Harris, David Warner and Michael Neser

Stoinis remains the most conspicuous absentee, however he is likely to be considered in Australia’s team for the upcoming T20I World Cup in June. Of late, Marcus Stoinis has battled back injuries, missing out on crucial outings for Australia. T20I specialist Tim David and Matthew Wade, who received upgrades in the 2023-24 contract, are also not on this year’s list. 

Chair of selectors George Bailey remarking on the list said it was drafted considering the huge future these players have ahead. 

"Matt, Aaron and Xavier have been extremely impressive in the early stages of their international careers. Their performances and the way they have embraced the international stage have been exciting to watch," George Bailey said. 

"The panel believes they have strong futures and deserve their contracts as they work towards striving to become regulars in the Australian setup," he said.

Cricket Australia contracted players 2024-25: Sean Abbott, Xavier Barlett, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Lance Morris, Todd Murphy, Jhye Richardson, Matt Short, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa.

Tags

More News

News

Kieron Pollard named captain of MI Emirates for ILT20 season 4

6 hrs ago

MI Emirates (MIE) have announced Kieron Pollard as their captain for the upcoming season of International League T20 (ILT20). The fourth edition of the tournament begins on December 2, 2025. Nicholas Pooran, who captained MI Emirates last season, remains in the squad. However, his commitments to MI Cape Town in the SA20 — which partially overlaps with ILT20 — m...


News

"Their importance at any point is huge": KL Rahul highlights importance of Rohit and Kohli ahead of 1st ODI against South Africa

8 hrs ago

With Shubman Gill ruled out due to a neck injury, Indian batter KL Rahul will lead the Indian team in the upcoming three-match ODI series against South Africa. The first match begins on November 30, 2025, in Ranchi. Rahul has led India in ODIs before, having captained 12 times between 2022 and 2023. 

"Just a day before the announcement, I was told th...


News

Focus shifts to ODIs as India and South Africa meet in Ranchi

9 hrs ago

Following a historic and hard-fought Test series, the spotlight now shifts to the white-ball leg of South Africa’s tour of India. The two sides will meet in the first ODI in Ranchi on Sunday, marking the beginning of a three-match series. India enter the ODI series with a point to prove. They were squarely outplayed in the Tests, falling short in both in bowlin...


News

"When we beat India in...": Babar Azam recalls Pakistan’s historic win

11 hrs ago

Pakistan's batting legend Babar Azam has often spoken about the defining moments of his career, but few memories stand as vividly in his mind as the night of October 24, 2021, when he led Pakistan to a landmark 10-wicket victory over India in the group stage of the ICC T20 World Cup. 

For years, Pakistan had searched for a World Cup win over their ar...


News

"They come very poorly trained": Ex-Indian players highlights India's batting woes on home soil

13 hrs ago

India’s shocking 0–2 defeat to South Africa in a home Test series has triggered a wave of criticism, with former India cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar slamming India's batting efforts. Reflecting on India’s inability to cross even 250 in any of their four innings, Manjrekar believed that the core problem lies in India's training.  According to ...