TOP STORIES

"They are moving on from him": Dinesh Karthik on Karun Nair after his omission from India squad for West Indies Tests

Friday, 26-Sep-2025, 09:21 AM
News

Former Indian cricketer Dinesh Karthik, sharing his thoughts on India's latest Test squad selection, stated that the national selectors appear to be moving on from middle-order batsman Karun Nair, following his exclusion from the 15-member squad for the upcoming two-match Test series against the West Indies. Karun Nair found himself out of favour again after a lukewarm performance during the recent Test series in England. Karun got his second opportunity with the Indian team during the England tour, but he failed to cement his place in the XI, managing just 205 runs in four matches, with a solitary half-century.

“The fact that Karun Nair is not looked at any more means they are moving on from him, which is very tough on him. I think he played in one of the toughest series on tough pitches. But in all fairness, he’ll look back himself and say, ‘Could I have scored more runs in a couple of innings at the start, in the first three Tests?’ Because in the last Test, he got a 50 on a tough pitch,” said Karthik on Cricbuzz.

“I can promise you if he was playing this series, he would get runs. It’s almost a given, the way he’s batting. The fact is they are saying, ‘Big series, we have him an opportunity and he didn’t deliver. So we move on to somebody young for the future’."

India have brought in Devdutt Padikkal to replace Karun Nair, and Dinesh Karthik has hailed the move.

“I really feel Devdutt being given an opportunity is a good thing because he has got 80 in Australia (for India A last year). He’s got skills because Australia is a very hard place to play and he got runs there. And the England series last year, he got a 50 in Dharamsala. So he has earned his stripes. He got injured and that’s why Karun Nair came into the squad. Otherwise Devdutt would have been part of the squad from day one in England. So he has earned his recall into the Indian team,” said Karthik.

Tags

More News

News

Kieron Pollard named captain of MI Emirates for ILT20 season 4

8 hrs ago

MI Emirates (MIE) have announced Kieron Pollard as their captain for the upcoming season of International League T20 (ILT20). The fourth edition of the tournament begins on December 2, 2025. Nicholas Pooran, who captained MI Emirates last season, remains in the squad. However, his commitments to MI Cape Town in the SA20 — which partially overlaps with ILT20 — m...


News

"Their importance at any point is huge": KL Rahul highlights importance of Rohit and Kohli ahead of 1st ODI against South Africa

10 hrs ago

With Shubman Gill ruled out due to a neck injury, Indian batter KL Rahul will lead the Indian team in the upcoming three-match ODI series against South Africa. The first match begins on November 30, 2025, in Ranchi. Rahul has led India in ODIs before, having captained 12 times between 2022 and 2023. 

"Just a day before the announcement, I was told th...


News

Focus shifts to ODIs as India and South Africa meet in Ranchi

12 hrs ago

Following a historic and hard-fought Test series, the spotlight now shifts to the white-ball leg of South Africa’s tour of India. The two sides will meet in the first ODI in Ranchi on Sunday, marking the beginning of a three-match series. India enter the ODI series with a point to prove. They were squarely outplayed in the Tests, falling short in both in bowlin...


News

"When we beat India in...": Babar Azam recalls Pakistan’s historic win

14 hrs ago

Pakistan's batting legend Babar Azam has often spoken about the defining moments of his career, but few memories stand as vividly in his mind as the night of October 24, 2021, when he led Pakistan to a landmark 10-wicket victory over India in the group stage of the ICC T20 World Cup. 

For years, Pakistan had searched for a World Cup win over their ar...


News

"They come very poorly trained": Ex-Indian players highlights India's batting woes on home soil

15 hrs ago

India’s shocking 0–2 defeat to South Africa in a home Test series has triggered a wave of criticism, with former India cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar slamming India's batting efforts. Reflecting on India’s inability to cross even 250 in any of their four innings, Manjrekar believed that the core problem lies in India's training.  According to ...